Dental experts say 3 out of 4 adults may suffer from some form of periodontal disease, of which one of the most common is receding gums.
As gums recede, this can be very painful, as roots can be exposed, teeth may come loose, or gums may be swollen, red, even bleed.
Worse yet, if receding gums aren’t treated promptly, they may require surgical intervention!
In particular, bacteria and plaque buildup along the gum line contributes to receding gums, as is poor oral hygiene (which contributes to the aforementioned buildup). Receding gums are more common in men than women.
Other frequent causes of receding gums may include:
- Using hard-bristled toothbrush
- Brushing in an aggressive fashion
- Cigarette smoking
- Hormonal changes especially in women
- Gum disease running in the family
- A compromised immune system
Fortunately, there are home remedies that can help with receding gums, provided they haven’t gotten bad enough to require professional dental help.
We particularly recommend the following:
- Aloe vera. Apply aloe gel topically on the affected area.
- Green tea. Anti-oxidant rich, green tea has proven helpful in the past.
- Coconut oil. Rinse the mouth well with coconut oil for relief.
- Eucalyptus essential oil. Its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties are both helpful.
- Vitamin C-rich foods. Vitamin C promotes healthy gums, and foods containing it should be consumed.
Before home remedies or dental treatment is necessary, however, we recommend prevention.
In particular, brush daily (or twice daily) at an appropriate strength, floss regularly, eat foods rich in vitamin C, don’t smoke, and see your dentist regularly.